Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Two projects...

In a sea of many more! The photo below shows half of the 'door' I am making for my bedroom. (There is currently just a gap between hall and bedroom). I used scraps of organza from a bridal couture place a friend used to work. They kindly passed on some of their offcuts (10-15% of fabric is discarded in the cutting phase of making a garment).

I didn't have enough organza to make one long length, so in the end I connected 2 pieces of organza, and one piece of sheer cotton (like a voile, but better quality, with a very tight weave). I overlapped the three pieces, and then started playing with adding more pieces. It is a landscape scene! With rivers, valleys, and mountain peaks. There are three clouds right a the top of the door. I am just using a running stitch to piece them all together, and am alternating which side I sew a new piece on, so they are both 'fronts'. The rug pictured beneath is new from ikea! How hilarious does it look? The main room of Matthew and my unit is slowly turning into a garden!!! (in a good way)


Close up- blanket stitch.
This is a fun little project I worked out using 3mm thick unbleached wool felt, and kimono scraps, visoflex (an iron-on fabric "glue" which bonds two pieces of material together), and embroidery thread.
I have made eight of these little bowls now. Three small square ones sit in the bathroom on the shelf of the cabinet holding my cotton circle wipes, hair elastics, and bobby pins. The rest are in the bedroom holding broaches, necklaces, earrings and anything in between! They can be made to any size and depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment